Of "DuckTales" and other things

David Gerstein ramapith at mail.dk
Wed Oct 1 01:54:18 CEST 2003

    Hey Chris,

> Among the most recent Gemstone releases, Kori Kerhonen(?)'s "Sons of the Moon"
> in the latest WDC&S featured some interesting wrinkles that may very well have
> been inspired by "DT", and I'm not just talking about the fact that the story
> starred only Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

    The creator's name is Kari Korhonen. His first name is (slightly)
misspelled "Kori" in the Gemstone credits.
    You suggest, Chris, that singling out just one nephew for special
treatment is a DuckTales-originated trend. You even imply that the mere act
of using HDL as solo stars could also be interpreted as some kind of
DuckTales homage.
    In truth, DuckTales was not the first forum to single out one nephew for
special treatment in a story. An early Barks ten-pager showed just one
nephew creating a gold-finding machine; and there are many Taliaferro
strips, most of them reprinted in Korhonen's native Finland, where one
nephew is singled out and individualized.
    As far as HDL as solo stars, such stories have been a staple of the
comics since the days of HUEY, DEWEY, AND LOUIE JUNIOR WOODCHUCKS, haven't
they?
    DuckTales has been credited in the past with being the first to use all
kinds of fictional concepts (so that any more modern duck story using the
concepts must then be either paying tribute to DuckTales, or ripping it
off). I find that DuckTales, great show though it was, is given a lot of
credit in this regard that it doesn't deserve.

    Best, David