Ludwig

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Wed Oct 8 02:26:44 CEST 2003

The lack of use of Ludwig Von Drake in Dutch comics in recent years has nothing
to do with memories of what the Germans did in WWII.  If that were the case, he
wouldn't have appeared in all those Strobl drawn stories from the late Dells
and Gold Key era and S stories from the 1960s.  They appeared in the 1960s and
1970s. I doubt that there is a prohibition on printing stories with Ludwig. As
far as recent stories using him, I can't remember any. He's not an easy
character to weave into a story where he is really needed. I haven't submitted
any with him to Dutch Disney.  I did sell a one-page gag starring Ludwig to
Egmont in 1993, but it was shelved.  My editor told me there was a prohibition
against using him.

Regarding Scrooge's sleeping quarters.  I drew him in a nightshirt and nightcap
and wearing slippers, sleeping in a room one floor above his office floor in
The McDuck Building in Downtown Duckburg in a 1992 story for Egmont. When the
Beagle Boys broke in to break into the office to try to crack his safe.  There
was no attempt by my editors to make me change the location to the main money
bin on Killmotor Hill, OR its OTHER LOCATION on the flat ground by The Duckburg
River (The Money Well, Second Richest Duck, etc.).

Rob
Klein