Ludwig von Drake vs. Egmont

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Fri Oct 10 10:25:23 CEST 2003

L. Schulte wrote:

> Don Rosa made a comment here that Egmont considered Ludwig von
> Drake "officially dead", and it made me wonder - (I teach German and
> several other things in a Catholic boys' high school) - if there is
> perhaps an anti-German sentiment in Egmont's decision, although Ludwig
> is  - I would suppose - not really German, but an Austrian from
> Vienna. Still, a German accent is a German accent, and given past
> history, perhaps the Dutchmen do not want to include Ludwig for
> political reasons (?).
> Or is there a solid business/"literary" basis for the ban?  Do they
> believe it is too difficult to explain the genetic connection between
> a family of Ducks with Scotch ancestry and someone from Vienna?

I asked Byron Erickson why Egmont have banned Ludwig. His answer:
"Ludwig and Launchpad ran off to Las Vegas, where they came out as
transvestites and joined a drag show." Obviously, this doesn't go over
well in a Disney magazine, so Egmont decided to ban these two
characters.

Whether this is the real explanation, I'll leave up to you to decide.
:-)
But, knowing Egmont, I sure banning Ludwig has nothing to do with his
ethnicity, his Austrian accent or his genetic connection to the Ducks.

And, as Harry Fluks pointed out, Egmont is Danish, not Dutch.

Lars