Disney promoting Disney comic books?

deanmary deanmary at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 23 19:44:32 CEST 2003

    The latest issue of Publishers Weekly has an special section
devoted to graphic novels, comics, etc.  In this section there is an
interview with Deborah Dugan, president of Disney Publishing
Worldwide.  She touches on how Gemstone is publishing comics with the
classic Disney characters again, some of Tokyo Pop's titles such as
Lizzie McGuire and Kim Possible, and that W.I.T.C.H books will be
published here in the US.

    What grabbed most of my attention though was the following
statement: "Graphic novels with the classic Disney characters will be
advertised in Disney's video releases this holiday season - 'We're
going to use the Disney machine to get them into the hands of kids,'
Dugan laughs.

    Boy, wouldn't that be great news if it turns out to be true!  An
ad for Disney comics would be in *millions* of videos/DVDs out in the
next few months! I am not exactly holding my breath though as Disney
has done next to nothing to promote Disney comics in the past.  If
this is true though, I wonder what has changed their minds?

Dean Rekich